I would like to say a huge thank you to Tracy Herbener for nominating To Unearth for the Liebster Award! Tracy’s website, tracyherbener.com, clearly shows her love for Jesus and her devotion to helping others fall in love with Him, too. Tracy’s blog articles discuss everyday situations we all struggle with at times — dealing with hurtful words from others, hiding from God and even believing lies over truth. Check out her blog and find encouragement as she guides you through scripture to find God’s truth!
Such a Time as This
Currently, my favorite blog to read is Such a Time as This. Sasha, author of this beautiful website, does an amazing job clearly expressing her passions through her articles. Yes, this blog is mostly about parenthood, and I’m not a parent. But I have found that Sasha writes in such a way that draws me in and entices me to keep reading. She’s open and honest about parenting struggles, and she does a beautiful job in her articles about adoption. I have felt convicted about my own areas of selfishness as I read about helping those in need and caring for orphans (No, she doesn’t just say adopt every child, because God may not be calling you to that).
On a completely different note, I love Sasha’s site because it looks fresh and clean, I don’t feel claustrophobic or attacked with ads as I’m scrolling down her pages, and I can clearly navigate without having to spend time figuring out how to get around the menu. Yes, these things do matter to me!
If you want to not only be encouraged but also have amazing resources about faith and parenthood, please check out Such a Time as This. You won’t regret it.
Random facts about me
I decided to begin creating To Unearth while working at a Christian summer camp as a full-time director. Yep, I gave up my job to do this!
Christie came up with the name “To Unearth” during a brainstorm session as she recited a monologue from the play “Enchanted April.” She has an outstanding memory for that stuff.
Most of our photography comes from iPhones, although thankfully my husband and I got an actual, real camera. So expect even more awesome images in 2018!
I write at least twice a week for To Unearth, mostly in the afternoons, which I find to be my productive time.
I get most of my article ideas from personal experience and conversation with others, or, when I’m desperate, looking out my window hoping to see something that will spark an idea.
To answer some of the questions from Tracy’s post:
My ideal morning is waking up next to my husband, making breakfast and reading our Bibles together, then relaxing on the couch for a few minutes before the craziness of the day begins.
If I had to choose between bike or train, I’d choose train. You get places so much faster!
I would definitely choose mountain over beach. Give me a good hike and adventure over salt water any day!
My mantra verse(s) right now is Isaiah 55:9-13. God talks about how His word will not return void but will accomplish the purpose for which He sent it. Which is so fitting for my writing and this time of life.
A special time in my life would actually be right now. I’m a newlywed working from home, pursuing my dream. Does it get more special than that?
JJ Gutierrez at Chickening-IN. JJ inspires women to live out their faith boldly. Her website not only includes beautifully-written articles on faith, but also book reviews, free printables and an art gallery! And she clearly writes out how to accept Christ as your Savior, which I think is just amazing. Be sure to check out how JJ is inspiring women through Chickening-IN.
Kay Schrock at A Ranch Mom. Kay’s greatest passion is to bring honor and glory to God through her website about how to navigate life on a ranch. She doesn’t just write articles to encourage and inspire, though. She also provides recipes as well as beautiful photography. You do not want to miss out on heading over to A Ranch Mom and seeing for yourself!
Amy Hagerup at The Vitamin Shepherd. Amy has much to teach you about living a healthy life! She covers topics on healthy skin care, weight management, cleaning and health in general. What sets her apart? She uses all her knowledge to point readers back to Christ, the One who made our bodies and desires us to live with healthy minds, bodies and souls. Head to The Vitamin Shepherd today to learn some healthy habits!
Ashleigh Rich at Ashleigh Rich. Ashleigh’s tagline, “Looking at Life and Love through God’s Eyes,” tells you right off the bat how scripture is ingrained throughout her website and the wisdom she shares. The topics she explores include everything a young adult needs to find encouragement in this crazy world. And she’s not afraid to talk about subjects that many Christians shy away from, like sex, continually bringing her readers back to the truth. If you want to feel refreshed today, head on over to Ashleigh Rich.
Esther Hosea at His Dearly Loved Daughter. Esther has a unique website in that she writes anonymously. Why? Because she wants to stress how you never know who carries burdens of hurt, rejection and abuse. She shares bits of her story to encourage and point readers to hope. While Esther doesn’t share her real name, she shares her heart and the truth that we are all perfectly loved and accepted by God, no matter how often or how severely we’ve been rejected by man. If you need hope and encouragement, please read His Dearly Loved Daughter to find truth in the midst of pain.
Questions for my nominees
- Out of all the countries you have visited, which one did you like the most?
- What is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- If you could take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
- Car or plane?
- What/Who inspires you to write?
- What is your favorite memory?
- If you could give someone $1,000,000, who would you give it to?
- Flowers or chocolate?
- What is the most exciting thing you have experienced?
- Name the top 3 most beautiful places you have visited.
- How has writing changed your perspective on life?
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster Award in which you should do the following:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget.” (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This year it’s optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here or simply link to this post with the original Liebster information.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post or this post with the original Liebster info if you don’t have all the information so that they can learn about it.